Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 --- 9:14 a.m.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Winnebago County Executive Mark Harris says he won't run for governor unless two other potential Democratic candidates opt out.
Harris, former Trek executive Mary Burke and state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, all Democrats, have been mulling challenging Republican Gov. Scott Walker next year. Burke hasn't announced whether she'll enter the race yet. Vinehout has said she'll decide next year.
Harris issued a statement Friday calling himself an underfunded candidate. But he said he still might jump into the fray if Burke and Vinehout don't run.
Wisconsin Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate threw his support behind Burke earlier this week, saying she would be the front-runner in a primary.
Wisconsin Republican Party Executive Director Joe Fadness issued a statement saying Harris' decision wasn't a surprise because Democrats chose Burke long ago.
Copyright 2013: Associated Press
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.