- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into ½ in. pieces
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic and sauté for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the broth and carrots. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, 2 – 3 cups at a time, and pour into a large bowl. When finished, pour the pureed soup back into the stockpot. Season with lemon juice.
Yield: 6 servings
Calories per serving: 198
Fat (grams): 2
Source: The Silver Palate Good Times Cook Book by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins: Workman Publishing Company, New York, 1985.
Prepared by Colleen Bolander, MS, RD
September 15, 2004