Caramel Apple Crunch Pie - September 21, 2004
"Cooking with KAKE" - Recipe of the Week
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 large, tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (6 cups) I used Gala
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 TBL all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 TBL water
- 1/3 cup butterscotch-caramel ice cream topping
- Pillsbury pie crust
- Roll out pie crust and put into pie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon.
- Add the apples and toss together.
- Turn mixture into pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, mix rolled oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 3 TBL flour.
- Cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture over the apple mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2 wide strips.
- Weave over the top of the pie to form a lattice crust.
- Press ends of strips into crust rim.
- Fold bottom pastry over strips.
- Seal and crimp edge.
- Brush the lattice top and crust with a mixture of egg and the water.
- To prevent over-browning, cover the edge of the pie with aluminum foil.
- Bake the pie in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil.
- Bake for another 25-30 minutes more or till filling is bubbly.
- Remove pie from oven and drizzle with caramel topping.
- Cool on a wire rack.