- 12g fat, 112mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 6g protein
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 refrigerated pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute = to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place coconut in an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 350 for four minutes, stirring several times, set aside. coconut will not be fully toasted.
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 for 8 minutes. Remove foil, bake 4-6 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and salt for 5 minutes. ( mixture will be lemon-colored and slightly thickened.) Add milk, sugar substitute, coconut extract and vanilla. Transfer to crust. (crust will be full)
- Bake at 350 for 30-minutes. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 8-to-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and coconut is slightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate.
Yields: 8 servings.
Coconut Custard Pie
Prep: 25 min + cooling
Bake: 40 min + cooling
One piece equals 214 calories