- 8 cups French bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 oz. breakfast sausage links
- 16 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 bunch green onions (light green portion), finely chopped
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, stalks cut into 1" pieces (cooked)
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups grated Fontina cheese
- Butter a large 6-qt. baking dish. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. In a saute' pan over medium heat, warm olive oil, add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on both sides (3-5 mins.). Drain on paper towels.
- Cut sausage into thin slices; add to bread slices. Whisk together eggs and milk in a blender. Pour egg mixture over bread and sausage. Add remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of cheese, and stir until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Sprinkle top of strata with 1 cup cheese. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.