A new study says chicken soup helps fight off flu. It was featured on 10/11 News at Noon from Dr. Sean Kenniff.
1 5-6 lb stewing hen or baking chicken
1 package of chicken wings
3 large onions
1 large sweet potato
11 to 12 large carrots
5 to 6 celery stems
1 bunch of parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the chicken, put it in a large pot, and cover it with cold water.
2. Bring the water to a boil. Add the chicken wings, onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips and carrots. Boil about 1.5 hours. Remove fat from the surface as it accumulates.
3. Add the parsley and celery.
4. Cook the mixture about 45 minutes longer. Remove the chicken. (The chicken is not used further for the soup.
5. Put the vegetables in a food processor until they are chopped fine or pass through the strainer. Salt and pepper to taste.