2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 cups whole milk
4 tbs vanilla extract
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
12 oz quality American style white bread, sliced 3/8 inch thick, and cut into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces (or about 8 cups)
1 1/2 tbs unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing the pan
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside
2. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position, and heat oven to 325 degrees, and butter 13 by 9 inch baking dish
3. Whisk eggs, yolk, and sugar in large bowl and blend well. Whisk in milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Stir in 6 cups of prepared bread, and mix thoroughly to moisen
4. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, and scatter remaining 2 cups of bread pieces on top, pushing down gently to partially submerge. Brush exposed bread with melted butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until pudding is a deep golden brown, and is beginning to rise up sides of baking dish.
6. Let cool about 45 minutes, or until set but warm, and serve with softly whipped cream.