- 3 to 3-1/2 cups day old bread and Danish
- A handful of sweetened coconut
- A handful of raisins (plumped in water or bourbon)
- A handful of chocolate chips
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 eggs plus 2 yolks
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups heavy cream or ‘half and half’
- 2 cups heavy cream or ‘half and half’
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ egg yolks
- 2 T. – ¼ cup bourbon (depending on how strong you like it) – opt.
Bread Pudding & Cream Sauce
Break up a combination of bread, Danish, croissants, etc. in a 2-1/2 qt. greased, casserole dish. In a large bowl, whip sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until fluffy. Add cream and blend well. Pour Cream Sauce onto bread and let soak. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes. Fold over and bake an additional 30 minutes or until set. Let sit about 20 minutes before serving. Top with Bourbon Sauce or whipped cream.
Refrigerate leftovers and micro-heat to reserve.Bourbon Sauce
Combine cream and sugar and heat. When hot, stir a bit into egg yolks. Add yolks to cream in pan. Cook until ALMOST boiling (do not boil). The sauce should be thick and coat a metal spoon. Pour through a sieve to remove any small lumps. Stir in bourbon, if desired. This sauce, without bourbon, is delicious as well.