8 pound Beef Rib Roast, French-cut and trimmed
4 to 6 cloves of garlic, slivered
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
Fresh oregano and thyme springs
1 cup brandy
1 cup beef broth
Salt and Pepper
1. Make 1" slits evenly over surface of roast, press garlic into slits. Place in roasting pan. Brush roast
with soy sauce, sprinkle with pepper, oregano and thyme springs. Let roast stand at room
temperature for 1 hour.
2. Roast in 350°F oven. Cook roast to preferred doneness. Medium-rare 14 minutes per pound or until
thermometer reaches 125°F; Medium, 15 minutes per pound or to 135°F.
3. While roasting baste every 10 minutes with brandy. When roast is done transfer to a warm platter
and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
4. Skim and discard fat from pan. Place pan over medium heat and pour in broth. Deglaze the pan by
stirring to dislodge any browned bits. Simmer sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste. Carve
roast and spoon sauce over meat.
* Recipe from Paula Dean’s cookbook, The Lady and Sons. www.ladyandsons.com