- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked ziti (short tubular pasta), cooked without salt and fat
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 -cup part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Cook ground beef, onion, mushrooms, green pepper and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned, stirring until meat crumbles and vegetables are tender.
2. Drain: Add water and next 5 ingredients (through tomato paste.)
3. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in pasta.
4. Spoon beef mixture into a 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese melts.