A cloud of chlorine at a local hotel forced the evacuation of one wing, while a female guest was taken to the hospital with difficulty breathing.
Emergency crews were called to the Quality Inn and Suites in Fitchburg just before 11 a.m. They found a woman who had trouble breathing after swimming in the hotel pool.
Chief Randy Pickering of the Fitchburg Fire Department says it didn't take long for crews to locate the problem.
"They also realized there was a strong odor of chlorine in the swimming pool area, which led to a little more investigation. It appears to be a chlorine leak into one of the hot tubs."
The manager of the hotel says other guests were moved to a separate wing until HAZMAT crews could be sure the area was safe.
Chief Pickering says they would need to drain the pool and hot tub and properly dispose of the water.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.