Excess Chlorine Closes Hotel Pool

A cloud of chlorine at a local hotel forced the evacuation of one wing, while a female guest was taken to the hospital with difficulty breathing.

Emergency crews were called to the Quality Inn and Suites in Fitchburg just before 11 a.m. They found a woman who had trouble breathing after swimming in the hotel pool.

Chief Randy Pickering of the Fitchburg Fire Department says it didn't take long for crews to locate the problem.

"They also realized there was a strong odor of chlorine in the swimming pool area, which led to a little more investigation. It appears to be a chlorine leak into one of the hot tubs."

The manager of the hotel says other guests were moved to a separate wing until HAZMAT crews could be sure the area was safe.

Chief Pickering says they would need to drain the pool and hot tub and properly dispose of the water.

NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 1514627 - nbc15.com/a?a=1514627
Gray Television, Inc.