UPDATED Friday, July 27, 2012 --- 4:15 p.m.
By: Barclay Pollak
It was a scary scene overnight in Dodgeville as three adults and five children were taken to the hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mary Jean Thomas has lived behind the family, who she identified as the Berg's, for years. She says last night she woke up to find police and other emergency responders investigating the outside of her neighbor's home.
" I don't know what woke me up. But I got up, walked down the hall and my family room was just like all the lights were on. "
Earlier today Thomas learned why officials were there. According to the Dodgeville Police Department they were initially called to the 700-block of Chapel Street for a child that was having a seizure.
Police eventually determined that the child and everyone else in the home, including the first officer that responded, had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide.
Police Chief David Kieffer says, " He had managed to get them outside recognizing that you know they weren't doing very well inside. "
This afternoon at a press conference, police told us that all the victims, including one officer were initially taken to Upland Hills Hospital in Dodgeville. All of the victims either have been or will be treated and released. They also revealed the cause of the build up. A bird's nest.
" The police investigation concluded that there was blockage that included a bird's nest in the exhaust pipe and that was the cause of the carbon monoxide build up inside the house. "
Officials couldn't say if there was a carbon monoxide detector in the home. They say all homes should have a carbon monoxide detector because they can help prevent situations just like the one in Dodgeville.
UPDATED Friday, July 27, 2012 --- 7:50 a.m.
Several people, including five children, are taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide poisoning in Dodgeville.
Police say officers were called to a home (at 721 W. Chapel Street) just before midnight Thursday on a report of someone having a seizure.
When police arrived they found the residents, including five children, were experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Eight people were taken to Upland Hills Hospital, including the officer first on the scene who assisted the others.
Authorities say carbon monoxide apparently was released in the house because a bird's nest was blocking an outside air intake.
The Dodgeville Police Department released the following information:
Dodgeville Police responded at 11:46 p.m. to a residence in the City of Dodgeville for a report of a subject having a seizure.
Upon arrival multiple subjects, including 5 children, (under the age of twelve) were found to be experiencing symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and all were removed from the residence by Dodgeville Police and Dodgeville ambulance.
Also responding to the scene were the Dodgeville Fire Department and Mineral Point Ambulance Service.
The preliminary cause of the Carbon Monoxide leak was determined to be an obstruction (birds nest) in an outside air intake leading to a natural gas heater.
In total 8 people were transported via ambulance to Upland Hills Hospital in Dodgeville including the Officer who first arrived and spent time assisting in removing those in need of medical assistance.
Carbon Monoxide levels on some individuals were relatively high and other relatively low causing two people to be released including the Officer. Additional information is limited due to medical privacy. Condition is unknown at this time on the remaining six people affected.