Weather Authority Alert

UPDATE: 13 sickened by indoor grill recovering

UPDATED Tuesday, February 25, 2014 --- 9:31 a.m.

ARCADIA, Wis. (AP) -- The owner of the house in Trempealeau County where 13 people were sickened by carbon monoxide says the home has two detectors for the odorless gas, but that they apparently did not go off.

The 13 people, including five children, were treated at a hospital in Whitehall and are recovering. A police officer from Arcadia and two emergency medical technicians were among those treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Willis Breska owns the home north of Arcadia. He says the LP gas tank at the farmhouse was empty, but the tenants never told him about it. Authorities say the tenants used a charcoal grill inside as a heating source.

The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram says the children range in age from 10 months to 18 years.

Copyright 2014: Associated Press


Posted Monday, February 24, 2014 --- 7:43 a.m.

TOWN OF ARCADIA, Wis. (AP) -- Sheriff's officials say 13 people were overcome by carbon monoxide when a charcoal grill was used inside a home in Trempealeau County.

Dispatchers received a call about an unknown medical condition at a home in the Town of Arcadia late Sunday afternoon. First responders found seven adults and five children suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide. Some were unconscious.

Authorities say a police officer who responded was also overcome and was treated and released from a local hospital. Three helicopters and five ambulances were dispatched to the scene to transport the injured. Their conditions are not immediately known.

Investigators say it appears the occupants were using the grill in the kitchen for heat.

Copyright 2014: Associated Press

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246864761 -
Gray Television, Inc.