Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 --- 5:05 p.m.
From the Madison Fire Department:
As Engine #5 and Medic #5 were leaving a motor vehicle crash, where no one was injured, they noticed heavy black smoke in the sky.
The crew decided to investigate as to where the smoke was coming from. Just as they were turning the corner at Buckeye and Camden Road, 911 Communications dispatched a full fire response to 4924 Camden Road at 11:26 am.
As Engine 5 approached the building, they saw smoke and flames coming from an apartment on the second level of the 4-unit complex. Medic 5 crew entered the building and conducted a search to ensure everyone was out of the building. Firefighters from Engine 5 entered the apartment and found it fully charged with smoke. The seat of the fire was found in the kitchen area and was extinguished within 7 minutes. Several other crews conducted a search and rescue throughout the rest of the complex, checked for extension in the attic area and performed overhaul duties to ensure the fire did not spread to other areas of the building.
2 adults and 4 young children were home during the fire, but everyone evacuated without any injuries. No one else was home when the fire broke out.
The fire originated in the kitchen area, causing $50,000 in damage. The second level of the building suffered smoke damage. An apartment on the first floor and basement level has minor water damage. After some repairs, everyone will be allowed back into their apartments tonight, except for the fire apartment.
Working smoke detectors, carbon monoxide and fire extinguishers were found throughout the 4-unit apartment complex.
Red Cross assisted the residents who were affected by the fire, with housing and immediate needs.