Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2014 -- 8:18 p.m.
This afternoon, the Madison Fire Department Hazardous Incident Team responded to Oscar Meyer Foods to neutralize a chemical reaction.
Madison firefighters were sent to 910 Mayer Avenue around 3:00 p.m. after lactic acid and sodium nitrate were accidentally mixed together. An employee recognized the mistake and quickly moved the 35 gallon barrel of material outside the factory. The employee called 911 immediately.
The materials that were mixed together does create a reaction, producing heat and acid fumes.
HIT team members neutralized the reaction by using soda ash. They were wearing protective clothing and air packs during the process. Firefighters were checking the air quality.
The neutralized material was contained in a plastic holding tank. Oscar Meyer Foods contacted a disposal contractor to remove the material and dispose of it.
No injuries were reported at the scene.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.