NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News, Weather, Sports

Hot ashes in garage lead to fire

Posted Sunday, May 25, 2014 --- 7:21 p.m.

City of Madison fire officials say hot ashes placed in a paper bag and left in the garage led to a garage fire on Madison’s far east side Sunday afternoon.

The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the garage and its contents.

City of Madison Firefighters were sent to the fire in the 700 block of Eagle Crest Drive at 2:55 p.m.

Firefighters put the fire out, then checked the home to make sure it hadn't spread. They found light smoke in the house, but no flames.
No injuries were reported at the scene.

Madison fire officials want to remind you:

When using a fireplace, woodstove or charcoal grill, be sure to dispose of the ashes and coals safely.

• Ashes and coals may reignite 48 to 72 hours after the fire is out.
• Be sure to let coals and ashes cool completely before disposing of them in a metal container.
• Place the container with the ashes or coals outside, away from any buildings or combustibles.

Smoke Alarms

Make sure your home is safe for you and your family by following these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 260618831 - nbc15.com/a?a=260618831