Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 --- 4:22 p.m.
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The U.S. Justice Department plans to review the death of a 16-year-old but says his family has not provided sufficient evidence so far of a civil rights violation.
U.S. Attorney James Santelle said in a statement Saturday that his office will look into Corey Stingley's death. But the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports (http://bit.ly/1icOgoS ) he said his office is not committing itself to or planning for any prosecution.
Milwaukee District Attorney John Chisholm has already decided not to charge three white men in the black teenager's death. Stingley died of a lack of oxygen Dec. 29, 2012, two weeks after three customers restrained him at a West Allis convenience store where he had been suspected of shoplifting.
Chisholm's decision not to prosecute them sparked a rally outside his office Friday.
Copyright 2014: Associated Press
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.