Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 --- 5:25 p.m.
From the Madison Fire Department:
Lightning strikes caused two fires on Monday morning as storms rolled through Madison. One home and an apartment complex were damaged as a result of lightning strikes. Luckily both were witnessed strikes. No one was injured in either blaze. The fires were 26 miles away from each other and occurred approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes apart.
The first call came in at 8:58 am at 926 Winding Way, a single family home on the city’s far west side. Two people were home at the time of the fire. The couple said they heard a big boom and then saw sparks coming from the back of the home.
They went outside, saw their home was on fire and called 911, informing the 911 Communications Center they thought lightning hit their roof. While waiting for the fire department, one of the residents attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.
When Firefighters arrived they noticed grey smoke coming from a charred area on the second floor. Crews removed siding and walls to check for extension into the home. A TIC-Thermal Imaging Camera was used to check interior walls in a second floor bedroom and attic area.
Fire Crews were able to stop the fire from spreading into the attic, which could have resulted in a major loss to the home. Firefighters covered the home with tarps to help protect it from the elements.
This fire is estimated at $15,000.
The second fire call came in at 10:15 am on the 3800 block of Dawn Road on the east side of town. A neighbor called the 911 Communications Center after hearing a loud boom and seeing smoke and flames near her apartment on the outside of the building.
Firefighters arrived to flames covering the exterior of the structure. Crews extinguished the fire and pulled siding and insulation, to check for extension. The fire damaged two apartments addressed off Summerville Court. No one was home in either apartment at the time of the fire.
The fire started to get into the soffits, but firefighters were quick to prevent the fire from extending into the roof of the apartment complex.
Damage is estimated at $75,000.