NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: 3 inhale toxic fumes at Madison company


UPDATED Friday, January 10, 2014 --- 9:00 a.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Three people are recovering after inhaling fumes from a highly toxic chemical at a Madison company.

Hazardous materials handlers and firefighters responded to Mentor Biologics in University Research Park Thursday evening where chlorine dioxide had spilled.

Division Fire Chief Art Price tells the State Journal the chemical release was small and contained. The three who inhaled it were taken to University Hospital for treatment.

Mentor Biologics makes a toxin that's designed to compete with the popular Botox.

Copyright 2014: Associated Press

_______________________________________________

UPDATED Thursday, January 9, 2014-- 10:05 p.m.

Madison fire said cleaning cabinets led to a hazmat situation at drug manufacturing company, Mentor Biologics, in Research Park.

"Three people were in the room where the leak got into," said Madison fire chief, Art Price.

Chief Price said they inhaled fumes from chlorine dioxide, a highly toxic chemical.

"It's in a gassiest form. It leaked into another room. They noticed it because they could smell it. They immediately left the room, dialed 911," said Price.

Madison Police had Science Drive closed off for a couple of hours as hazmat and fire crews went inside.

"Our teams are going in to monitor the air to make sure everything's alright," said Price.

The three people exposed to the chemical were taken away in ambulances to UW Hospital.

"They were all alert and oriented," said Price.

Chief Price said the chemical was contained to the building and will clear up on its own.

"It's going to dissipate. The air handler scrubs it, and it releases into the atmosphere," said Price.

Science Drive was reopened around 8:00 p.m. No word on the conditions of the three people in the hospital.

_______________________________________________

Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 --- 6:42 p.m.

A potentially dangerous chemical spill has caused police to block off Science Dr., in Madison.

Madison Fire Department sent out a tweet earlier tonight saying the City of Madison Fire Dept. was responding to hazmat call at 535 Science Drive, at Mentor Biologic.

Madison police have blocked off the area as a precaution, saying the spill has the potential to be toxic to people in the area.

NBC15's Britni McDonald says she witnessed 3 ambulances leaving the scene with their emergency lights on, but it is unconfirmed at this time whether or not anyone was injured.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239512771 - nbc15.com/a?a=239512771