UPDATE: Walker Glad Investigation Into Ex-Aides is Over; Democrats React

UPDATED Friday, March 1, 2013 --- 1:16 p.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Some Wisconsin Democrats say evidence shows Republican Governor Scott Walker was involved in illegal campaigning when he was Milwaukee County executive. But that's not the way the county's district attorney sees it.

John Chisholm announced Friday the investigation that started six months before Walker became governor has ended without any charges against Walker. Four former aides and a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.

Assembly minority leader Peter Barca says Walker should take responsibility for people he trusted, hired and supervised. And Democratic Party chairman Mike Tate says he hopes all documents related to the case are made public.

A judge has ordered that documents gathered in the investigation remain under wraps.

Walker says he's glad the investigation is over. He's always maintained he didn't know county workers were illegally campaigning on the job.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

__________________________________________

UPDATED Friday, March 1, 2013 --- 11:04 a.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Gov. Scott Walker says he's glad the John Doe investigation into his former aides and associates is over.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm announced Friday that the investigation is complete. Six people have been charged with crimes stemming from the investigation that looked into activity in the Milwaukee County executive's office when Walker held that position. Four former Walker aides as well as a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.

A statement from Walker says he appreciates the investigative effort and that "appropriate matters" were brought to justice.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

______________________________________________

Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 --- 9:25 a.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A secret investigation into Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's former aides and associates has closed without any charges being filed against Walker.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm announced Friday that the so-called John Doe investigation ended last week. Six people have been charged with crimes stemming from the investigation that looked into activity in the Milwaukee County executive's office when Walker held that position.

Four former Walker aides as well as a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.

Walker's spokesman Cullen Werwie had no comment on the investigation closing and referred calls to Walker's campaign. A spokeswoman there did not immediately return calls.

Walker has long maintained he did nothing wrong and predicted months ago the investigation was nearing an end.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 194202581 - nbc15.com/a?a=194202581