Posted Sunday, December 22, 2013 --- 7:19 a.m.
Wisc. drivers warned about snowy conditions
ASHLAND, Wis. (AP) -- Holiday travelers are expected to meet snow-covered roads and reduced visibility in Wisconsin this weekend.
The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for much of the state, predicting 4 to 8 inches of snow by Sunday morning.
Senior forecaster Bob McMahon says the heaviest will be in southern Wisconsin, with it getting lighter toward far northwest Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation sent out a severe weather alert, reminding motorists to plan on potentially dangerous road conditions this weekend.
The snow will cover freezing rain that fell most of Friday in southern Wisconsin.
7,000 flights delayed across U.S. due to weather
CHICAGO (AP) -- Residents of several upper Midwest states are expected to awaken Sunday morning to a new covering of snow.
A sloppy storm system that dished a bit of everything Saturday on an area stretching from Texas to eastern Canada was expected to bring rain Sunday to areas back East that enjoyed spring-like temperatures the day before.
Travelers likely avoided the worst if they left or arrived in the Midwest by midday Saturday. But by afternoon, roads in many areas became slick and flight cancellations and delays started mounting. By 11 p.m. Central Standard Time Saturday, nearly 500 flights into or out of U.S. airports had been cancelled and some 7,000 had been delayed, aviation tracking website FlightAware DOT com reported.
Aide: Walker may decide on casino after election
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A top aide says Governor Scott Walker may postpone deciding whether to approve the Menominee tribe's Kenosha casino project until after he runs for re-election next November.
Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for a Saturday story that the state's attorneys and financial adviser may need more time to examine the tribe's off-reservation project.
He says as the administration's point person on the project, he will engage in "shuttle diplomacy" to negotiate between the Menominee and two tribes that strongly oppose the project.
The paper says Huebsch also opened the door to modifying or dropping the veto power Walker gave each of Wisconsin's 11 tribes.
Ho-Chunk tribe spokesman Collin Price says he's disappointed that the administration would even consider removing the tribes' project veto power.
Milwaukee police make arrest in restaurant killing
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Milwaukee police have arrested a 28-year-old man in connection with the fatal shooting of a cook at a restaurant.
The man is suspected of killing 21-year-old Reginald Evans about 2 a.m. Friday at an east side George Webb restaurant.
Police say Evans was attempting to assist a waitress who was dealing with a crowd of rowdy patrons. A member of the group left, returned with a handgun and shot Evans in the chest.
Police Chief Edward Flynn said the suspect is a career criminal with a lengthy record.
Evans' family friend Caliyah Smith described him as a kind and protective person who was a hard worker.
Co-worker Maria Trotter says Evans moved to Milwaukee from Detroit and was working two jobs to make ends meet.
Wis police: Charges against teen could take a week
ASHLAND, Wis. (AP) -- Police expect a charging decision won't come for about a week in the case of a 14-year-old boy accused of killing a man in far northwestern Wisconsin.
The teen is accused of fatally shooting and stabbing 52-year-old William Saari, who was found dead near his Ashland home Monday night.
The Duluth News Tribune reports he's also accused of attacking the man's wife and then shooting twice at an officer. Police believe he then shot himself in the abdomen. He was treated at a hospital and released.
Police said they hadn't forwarded their reports to the district attorney's office Friday afternoon, so a charging decision probably won't come for a week.
Ashland Police Chief Greg BeBeau says the motive remains unclear.
Saari's funeral is set for Saturday in Ashland County.
Appeals court: Widower can no longer file suit
PORTAGE, Wis. (AP) -- The court of appeals has ruled the widower of a woman killed in 1980 waited too long to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the convicted killer.
The Portage Daily Register reports the court agreed with a Columbia County judge who said in February that the wrongful death lawsuit was filed four months after the two-year deadline of the statute of limitations.
Randolph resident Curtis Forbes was convicted in 2010 of killing 18-year-old Marilyn McIntyre in Columbus.
Her husband found her body when he returned from working an overnight shift in 1980. The couple's 3-month-old baby was in a crib.
He was charged in March 2009 after advances in DNA technology revived the investigation.
McIntyre's husband, Lane McIntyre, and their son Christopher McIntyre filed the lawsuit in July 2011.
Copyright 2013: Associated Press