NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: US prosecutors seek execution of marathon suspect

UPDATED January 31, 2014 --- 5:20 a.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Federal prosecutors say they will seek the death penalty against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in the Boston Marathon bombing.

The final decision was made by Attorney General Eric Holder and was announced Thursday. The twin blasts in April killed three people and wounded more than 260 in one of the most prominent terrorist attacks in the U.S since 9/11.

Prosecutors allege that Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, ethnic Chechens from Russia who had lived in the Boston area for about a decade, planted two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died in a shootout with police.

Seventeen of 30 charges against Tsarnaev carry the possibility of the death penalty, including using a weapon of mass destruction to kill.

The 20-year-old Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty. No trial date has been set.

Copyright 2014: Associated Press

_______________________________________

UPDATED Tuesday, October 22, 2013 --- 9:56 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Prosecutors in the case against Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev say a man shot to death during questioning by an agent in Florida told investigators that Tsarnaev's slain older brother had been involved in a triple homicide.

The alleged involvement of Tamerlan Tsarnaev in the killing in Waltham was disclosed in a government court filing made Monday.

The document says Ibragim Todashev told investigators Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in the killings. The filing is part of prosecutors' attempt to block Dzhokhar Tsarnaev from getting investigative documents associated with the Sept. 2011 deaths.

Authorities previously said they were investigating possible links between the bombing and the slaying case.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev died following a shootout with police four days after the April 15 twin explosions killed three people and injured more than 260.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED Wednesday, July 10, 2013 --- 3:12 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to 30 counts including use of a weapon of mass destruction to kill.

He entered the plea Wednesday in federal court in Boston.

For the first one, he leaned toward a microphone and said, "Not guilty," in a Russian accent. He then said not guilty repeatedly about a half-dozen more times.

His sister sobbed loudly as he left the courtroom. He looked over and made a kiss motion with his mouth to his family.

Federal prosecutors are weighing whether to pursue the death penalty for the 19-year-old Tsarnaev.

Authorities say he and an older brother, Tamerlan, planted two bombs, which killed three people and wounded more than 260 at the April 15 marathon. The older brother was killed three days later following a shootout with police.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

_______________________________________

UPDATED Wednesday, July 10, 2013 --- 5:46 a.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing will watch as the young man who could face the death penalty for the attack appears in court for the first time since he was found hiding in a boat in a suburb days after the April 15 explosion.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's arraignment will be held Wednesday afternoon in federal court in Boston. The 19-year-old has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction in the bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 260.

Tsarnaev hasn't appeared publicly since his April 19 arrest. His initial court hearing was held at a hospital, where he was recovering from injuries suffered in a confrontation with police that killed his brother and alleged co-conspirator.

Tsarnaev escaped but was found in the drydocked boat in Watertown.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

____________________________________

Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 --- 12:55 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- A federal grand jury has returned a 30-count indictment against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was indicted Thursday on charges including using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use, resulting in death.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured in twin explosions near the finish line of the marathon.

Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed following a shootout with police on April 19.

Authorities say the brothers used shrapnel-packed pressure cooker bombs in the bombing. They are also accused of killing an MIT police officer.

The U.S. attorney's office says 17 of the charges against 19-year-old Tsarnaev could bring life in prison or the death penalty.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 213347791