NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Local humane society caring for pets after Town of Beloit fire

By: Max Hess - Email
By: Max Hess - Email

UPDATED Friday, April 4, 2014 --- 10:00 p.m.

A fire in the Town of Beloit late last evening left not only a homeowner without a place to live, but also a lot of animals.

Fourteen birds, four dogs and two cats were recovered from a mobile home community right off of US 51.

They are now all being taken care of by the Human Society of Southern Wisconsin in Janesville.

"We help pets go home again," said Brett Frazier, the Humane Society's Executive Director.

"Actually the pets, especially the birds, are doing remarkably well," he explained.

One of the birds appeared to have some tumors and one of the dogs has an unknown issue with the eye, according to Frazier.

He said he first got the call around 6:30 a.m., and quickly started making plans for transporting the animals.

Gavin McCarten lives right next door to where the fire broke out.

He said he woke up to the fire department right outside of his house.

"It's pretty scary," he said, adding that he's glad everybody is safe.

"I like them all... they're real personable people," McCarten said about his neighbors.

He also said that the homeowner is still in the hospital, but should make a full recovery.

______________________________________________________

UPDATED Friday, April 4, 2014 --- 3:02 p.m.

The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin is caring for as many as 16 pets after a fire in the Town of Beloit.

Officials from the shelter in Janesville say that total includes around 10 large birds.

The fire happened at the Rockvale Mobile Home Park late Thursday night.

______________________________________________

Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 --- 6:28 a.m.

The Town of Beloit fire department was dispatched to Rockvale Mobile Home Park, 6219 S. Hwy 51, Lot #221, for a residential fire with a physically disabled person unable to evacuate.

Rock County Sheriff Deputies arrived on scene just after 11:30 p.m. and reported light smoke showing outside the residence. Deputies were able to assist in the evacuation of all residents and a couple dogs.

Crews found light smoke throughout the interior of the residence and located a fire in the ceiling area of the kitchen. The fire was quickly knocked down. As crews continued to look for hot spots, additional crews were able to rescue several birds, another dog and four cats.

As the fire was in a void space and not easily accessible, crews remained on scene for a couple hours locating and extinguishing hot spots.

The structure is considered a total loss and valued at $18,000. Damage to contents is estimated to be $5,000.

The owner and three other residents are being assisted by the Red Cross.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 253875801 - nbc15.com/a?a=253875801