Posted Sunday, July 15, 2012 --- 8:56 p.m.
Press Release from the Madison Fire Department:
City of Madison firefighters responded to a house fire this evening at 2517 Waltham Road. Residents there reported hearing smoke alarms and seeing an "orange glow" below the dryer in the basement. The two residents home at the time evacuated and called 911.
When Ladder Company 7 arrived, they observed light smoke from a chimney. Upon entry, the basement was filled with thick, black smoke rising onto the main floor.
In the basement, flames had reached the ceiling, burning clothing, a hamper, a plastic laundry basket, and nearby curtains.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within minutes, containing the fire damage to the area of the basement directly adjacent to the dryer. There was only light smoke damage to the main floor of the one-story, ranch-style home. There was no structural damage.
The Red Cross is assisting the family of four. Two of the residents were not home at the time of the fire.
Exact damages are still being calculated.