UPDATED Tuesday, December 4, 2012 --- 4:27 p.m.
DARLINGTON, Wis. (AP) -- Four people were taken to a hospital with respiratory problems after breathing fumes from an aerosol can that built up in a Wisconsin bank vault.
Darlington police say it happened just after 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Citizens Bank.
Three bank employees and a customer were sickened when fumes from the aerosol can were released when the closed bank vault was opened.
Police say the aerosol can contained static neutralizer for use on electronics. A preliminary investigation finds the can either was punctured or somehow released all of its contents inside the vault overnight.
A hazmat team was among the crews that helped out at the bank.
The Capital Times reports Darlington fire personnel stayed at the bank for about an hour and a half, ventilating the building.
Copyright 2012: Associated Press
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 --- 1:42 p.m.
Press Release from the Darlington Police Department:
The Darlington Police Department, Darlington Fire Department, and Rural Medical Ambulance Service, were dispatched to Citizens Bank on Wells Street at 10:10 AM this morning for a report of a chemical spill. The preliminary investigation into the matter revealed an aerosol can containing a static neutralizer for use on electronics somehow punctured or released all of its contents in the bank vault during the overnight hours. The vault does not have an air exchange system so when bank employees opened the vault this morning, the vapors were released from the vault and were breathed in by three employees.
Three bank employees and one citizen were transported by Rural Medical Ambulance Service to Memorial Hospital of Lafayette County for treatment of respiratory ailments. Fire Dept. personnel remained on scene until 11:37 AM ventilating the building.
The Southwest WI Regional Tech Rescue and Haz Mat Team, Lafayette County Emergency Management, Lafayette County Sheriff's Department and Darlington Public Works Department assisted at the scene.