Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 -- 10:30pm
Have you found yourself saying this: “I need to get out of here!” If so, you're far from alone.
It's been cold, miserable, and many of us have lost our sanity, hoping and praying for a wintervention.
"We've had people call for next week to Hawaii” says Renee Meichtry, a travel agent with Capitol Travel in Monona.
Meichtry was been busy lately assisting weary Wisconsin residents plan last-minute getaways. “A lot of people just can't take it anymore maybe weren't necessarily planning to take a vacation this winter, but have decided they have to go” she says.
Many of you, our viewers, told us the same thing, traveling to places like Maui and Florida to get small dose of sunshine.
Because of the unpredictable winter weather throughout the entire U.S., Meichtry says the top destination this spring break seems to be Mexico.
But of course not everyone can afford to lay out on the beach. But, even if you're cash-strapped, you may be able to take a budget-friendly break.
"We always stress flexibility. If they have a two or three week time frame to work with” says Meichtry.
1. If you can, leave on a weekday to snag lower flight prices.
2. Opt to stay at hotels with a free breakfast.
3. Look for hotels with a kitchen and save money by cooking your own meals.
4. If your kids can stand the bus consider options like MegaBus who offer affordable last-minute tickets leaving out of Madison.
5. Look to travel agents. Often travel agents have access to information that may not be available to those trying to do it themselves, plus have access to special last minute packages.