Wis. court says asbestos case wrongly dismissed

Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 --- 10:02 a.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A Wisconsin appeals court says a case brought on behalf of a worker who died as a result of asbestos exposure was wrongly dismissed.

The 1st District Court of Appeals on Friday ordered a trial in the case, saying the lawsuit properly alleges a negligence claim against Wisconsin Electric Power Company, which now does business as We Energies.

Robert Viola worked as an insulator or "pipe coverer" from the mid-1950s through the early 1980s. Some of the projects where he worked were at properties owned by Wisconsin Electric.

During that work he was exposed to asbestos dust. Viola died from cancer in 2009.

The power company argued because Viola performed some of the work releasing the asbestos dust, he can't collect damages. The appeals court disagreed and ordered a trial.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237496991 - nbc15.com/a?a=237496991
Gray Television, Inc.