Family First: Unhealthy Food for Kids

Posted June 28, 2010 --- 1:11 p.m.

Childhood obesity rates in America have tripled since 1980. That comes from the Editors of Children's Health.

As a parent, it's important to know exactly what your kids are eating. Here's a list of some of the unhealthiest foods for your kids, along with a healthy alternative.

The worst sweetened cereal is Cap'n Crunch. Just one cup has 146 calories. This cereal is also coated with loads of the food colorings yellow 6 and 5, which have been linked to poor behavior in children.

The worst beverage is SunnyD Smooth Style. There's just 5 percent real juice in a bottle, which means the other 95 percent is sugar water. That's equal to the sugar equivalent of a dozen Chips Ahoy cookies.

Finally, the worst drive-thru meal is the Burger King Kids' Double Cheeseburger with Small Fries and Coke. It has 18 more grams of fat than the same meal at McDonald's.

Children's Health recommends keeping the kids away from the drive-thru and eating Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with Apple Fries, Caramel Dipping Sauce and Low-Fat Milk

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 98848074 -
Gray Television, Inc.