Posted Friday, August 10, 2012 --- 8:20 a.m.
From the Rock County Sheriff's Office:
Since the beginning of July 2012, the Rock County Sheriff’s Office has experienced an increase in thefts from motor vehicles. The thefts have occurred in the following areas:
• 3700 block of South Nelson Road
• 9700 block of South Nelson Road
• 1400 block of South Dickey Road
• 8600 block of West STH 81
• 9000 block of South Olson Road
• 9700 block of South Olson Road
• 10000 block of West Skinner Road
• 14000 block of West Skinner Road
• 6500 block of Plymouth Church Road
• 11000 block of South CTH H
• 11000 block of South Merlet Road
• 3300 block of North Polzin Road
• 4700 block of North Fox Road
The thefts are occurring from unlocked vehicles that are parked in driveways or garages. Multiple vehicles have been entered at some of these residences. Garage door openers that were located in vehicles that were parked in the driveway have been used to gain access to the garage where additional vehicles have been entered and items stolen. Items taken during these thefts include electronics, credit cards, cash, purses and personal identification. Several of these residences have also had ATV’s taken. The time frame that the thefts have been occurring is from the late evening hours into the early morning hours when the property owners are discovering the thefts.
The Sheriff’s Office is investigating these thefts. Sheriff Spoden would like to remind Rock County Residents to be vigilant in securing their property and looking after their neighbors’ property as well. Sheriff Spoden offers the following crime prevention tips to take in securing your property:
• Keep your vehicle locked. Do not leave valuable items such as a purse, CDs, MP3 player or laptop in plain view. Take these items inside with you. If you must leave it in the vehicle, secure it in the trunk.
• Be alert in protecting not only your property but neighbors as well. Be aware of and report suspicious persons and vehicles to law enforcement. Be cautious of strangers and when in doubt, call law enforcement. Remember that criminals often park near their targets and approach on foot so it is important to report suspicious vehicles parked in your neighborhood.
• Get to know your neighbors. See about joining or starting a neighborhood watch in your area. Look out for your neighbors’ property, as you would want them to look after yours.
Anyone having information about these thefts can contact the Rock County Sheriff’s Office Detective Bureau at 608-757-7923, Janesville Area Crime Stoppers at 608-756-3636, the Greater Beloit Area Crime Stoppers at 608-362-7463, or text “CRIMES” (274637) key word JACS or BACS then your message. You can also submit tips through the Janesville Area Crime Stoppers web site www.stopjanesvillecrime.com or the Greater Beloit Area Crime Stoppers web site www.gbacrimestoppers.com.