Firefighters say the family got out of the house without a moment to lose.
The fire broke out early Wednesday morning on Fisher Street when most of the household was asleep. But one adult was awake at the time and got the rest of the family to evacuate to a neighbor's house.
Madison firefighters responded to the house fire at 4 a.m. When the first crew arrived, they found flames coming out of the kitchen window in the back of the house and heavy smoke throughout the building.
All seven people, two adults and five children, escaped without injury.
But they are lucky they got out. Lt. Rich Kindadd with the Madison Fire Department reports that the smoke detector in the house did not go off. “We did find a smoke detector. It appeared the battery had been removed from the smoke detector at one point. It was totally melted off the wall. However no battery was found.”
Investigators say the carbon monoxide detector in the house did go off.
The fire remains under investigation. Damage is believed to be $25,000.
Designed by Gray Digital Media