Sunday's heat is blamed for a fire on Madison's far eastside.
Late Sunday afternoon, Madison Fire Crews responded to a fire at the Dane County landfill, just east of I–90 on Highway 12/18.
They arrived to find a transformer ablaze at the site's methane transmission plant -- which converts methane into electricity, and then sold to Madison Gas and Electric.
Fire personnel waited until MG&E could de-energize the transformer before extinguishing the flames.
"They had fans on the room when we got here, and tryin' to cool down the equipment, and our guess is it got just overheated on the outside, transferred back inside, started that on fire," says Lt. Gordy Berggren from the Madison Fire Department.
No injuries were reported at the unoccupied area. Damage is estimated at $30,000.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.