UPDATE: Lawyers: 2 Didn't Know of Boston Attack Plans

UPDATE: Lawyers for two men charged with conspiring to obstruct justice in the Boston bombing case say their clients had no idea the attack was being planned.

Photo Credit: nbcnews.com

UPDATED Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 4:05 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Lawyers for two men charged with conspiring to obstruct justice in the Boston bombing case say their clients had no idea the attack was being planned.

The lawyers for Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev held a brief news conference Wednesday after their clients' initial court appearance.

Attorneys Robert Stahl and Harlan Protass say their clients were just as shocked as everyone else and didn't have anything to do with the attack.

They are accused of removing a backpack containing hollowed-out fireworks from suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's dorm room three days after the attack to keep him from getting into trouble.

A third man, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to federal investigators. He awaits a court appearance.

___________________________________________

UPDATED Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 3:31 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Two men who attended college with the Boston Marathon suspect and are charged with conspiring to obstruct justice have waived bail.

Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev appeared in court Wednesday and agreed to voluntarily detention.

Their next hearing is scheduled for May 14.

A third man, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to federal investigators. He awaits a court appearance.

An FBI affidavit says the three men removed bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's backpack from his dorm room at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth three days after the bombing.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

__________________________________________

UPDATED Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 1:20 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Three men who attended college with the Boston Marathon suspect have been charged in connection with the case.

Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev are charged with conspiring to obstruct justice. A third man, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to federal investigators.

An FBI affidavit says the three men removed bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's backpack from his dorm room at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth three days after the bombing.

The affidavit says Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev agreed to get rid of it after concluding from news reports that Tsarnaev was one of the bombers.

A court appearance for the three is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

_________________________________________________

UPDATED Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 1:15 p.m.

From NBC News:

By Pete Williams, Richard Esposito, Michael Isikoff and Tracy Connor, NBC News

Three college friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev have been arrested for allegedly removing items from his dorm room and lying about it to the feds, sources said Wednesday.

Two of them, Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, were detained April 20 on immigration charges, sources said. A third person, Robel Philipos, was later taken into custody, sources said.

They will be charged with conspiring to obstruct justice and making false statements, federal authorities said. A hearing was scheduled for sometime after 3 p.m. in Boston.

Sources said the men recognized Dzhokhar, 19, from video of the bombing scene released by the FBI and went to his dorm room at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, where they were let in by his roommate.

The trio spotted a backpack containing fireworks that had been emptied of their explosive powder and decided to take it, sources said. They also took a laptop because they didn't want to arouse the roommate's suspicions about the backpack, the sources said.

There was no indication the three men had any prior knowledge of the bombing.

"Please be advised that there is no threat to public safety," the Boston Police Department said on its website.

Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev were classmates of Tsarnaev’s at UMass-Dartmouth who lived in an off-campus apartment in New Bedford and got around in a car with the vanity plate “Terrorista #1.”

The plate, which was pictured on Tsarnaev’s Twitter feed in March, was a joke gift from friends, a lawyer for Kadyrbayev has said. The lawyer has also said the two men were shocked by the bombing and have fully cooperated.

Authorities said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother Tamerlan carried out the blasts that killed three and wounded more than 200 near the finish line of the race.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed during a firefight with police. Dzhokhar was arrested after a manhunt and has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction.

Law enforcement officials have told NBC News that Dzhokhar told them during questioning he and his brother wanted to defend Islam after the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The brothers, ethnic Chechens who had been living in the U.S. for more than a decade, were seen on video at the marathon. Investigators have been trying to determine if they received assistance from anyone else in the U.S. or abroad.

_________________________________________

UPDATED Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 11:30 a.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation say two of the three people newly arrested in the Boston Marathon bombing case are two men originally from Kazakhstan who were friendly with the main suspect.

Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev appeared via video for a visa violation hearing in immigration court in Boston on Wednesday.

The officials who said they were in custody spoke to The Associated Press Wednesday condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the investigation.

One of the officials said the third suspect was a man.

The two have been held in a county jail for more than a week on allegations that they violated their student visas while attending the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is originally from Russia.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press

_________________________________________

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 --- 10:37 a.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police say three more suspects have been taken into custody in the marathon bombings.

In a tweet Wednesday morning, the police department says only that three more suspects are in custody and more details will follow. Police spokeswoman Cheryl Fiandaca confirmed the tweet but referred all other questions to the FBI.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured on April 15 when two bombs exploded near the finish line.

Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police several days later. His brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was captured and lies in a hospital prison.

Both are Russian natives who lived for several years in the U.S. They are accused of using a weapon of mass destruction.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 205605931 - nbc15.com/a?a=205605931
Gray Television, Inc.