UPDATED Thursday, December 13, 2012 --- 4:15 p.m.
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 --- 1:03 p.m.
Information from the Columbus Police Department:
The Columbus Police Department is investigating the death of two dogs recently. It is suspected that the dogs died from ingesting rat poison. In these particular incidents, the dogs were seen playing with “Sticks” that turned out to be a form of rat poison. The above photo is representative of the type of poison stick the dogs were exposed to.
It is unknown at this time how the poison sticks were put in the yards of these dogs. It is possible that someone is intentionally targeting domestic pet dogs. Our investigation is ongoing.
In one incident, a small child found the stick in the yard and handled it.
We are cautioning all residents to check their yards / properties for these poison sticks. If found, please handle safely and place them in a paper bag – call the Columbus Police Department at 623-5919.
Columbus Police also posted this information on Facebook:
So far it has been in an area north of James St.between city hall and Enerpac. However, all property owners - especially with pets and small children should be aware and checking city-wide.
Since one (yard) is fenced in, all indications are that these sticks are being placed in the yards of the pets.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.