Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 --- 8:00p.m.
LEBANON, Mo. (AP) -- Wal-Mart says it has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died after being taken off life support.
Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said Wednesday the move is cautionary as health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo.
No government recall has been ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1J7G.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports (http://bit.ly/vwyAs5 ) Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch Wal-Mart pulled tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says numerous companies sell the formula, though it's unclear if others sold from that batch.