Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 --- 2:21 p.m.
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Health officials are warning Wisconsin residents about a holiday tradition that involves eating raw meat after more than a dozen people became ill last year.
A weekly report issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the people became ill after eating "tiger meat" or "cannibal sandwiches."
Milwaukee historian John Gurda says the sandwiches are an appetizer featuring raw, lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion. The sandwiches are served at holidays and other celebrations, usually by people of German or Polish descent.
The CDC says it confirmed four cases of illness with E. coli and 13 likely cases in people who ate the sandwiches last holiday season. Health officials say people should not eat uncooked meat.
Copyright 2013: Associated Press
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.