NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News

Madison Firefighters remind you to practice kitchen safety during the holidays

Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013 --- 1:07 p.m.

Madison Firefighters want to remind everyone to practice kitchen safety, especially during the holidays.

Cooking fires make up about 44% of reported home fires, 16% of fire deaths and 40% of home fire injuries.

Firefighters say unattended or careless cooking is by far the leading contributing factor in cooking equipment fires.

The following information is from MFD.

To reduce the risk of cooking fires this holiday, the MFD recommends the following safety tips:
-Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
-Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
-Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
-Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
-Keep knives out of the reach of children.
-Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
-Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
-Never leave children alone in room with a lit a candle.
-Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.

If you have a cooking fire…
-Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
-Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
-If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear path (to your way out of the home and someone has called the fire department).
-Keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
-For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Outdoor fryers heat gallons of cooking oil to very high temperatures to cook the turkey. The risk of this oil being spilled is significant, and the injuries resulting can be severe.
-The fryers are often bumped or tipped over when the turkey is put in or taken out, presenting a greater risk for the oil to splash or spill. Outdoor fryers that come with a stand pose the greatest risk of tipping.
-The oil is heated to such a high temperature for frying that the vapors may ignite, resulting in a fire.
-Use of a turkey fryer during rain or snow, increases the risk of injury. When rain or snow hits the hot oil, the oil can splash or turn to steam, causing burns.
-Fires often ignite when fryers are moved indoors or into a garage to keep the appliance out of the rain.
-Moving the turkey from the fryer to a serving plate presents another chance of contact with hot oil.
-Turkeys that are not completely thawed may cause the oil to splash, which can cause burns.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233647441 - nbc15.com/a?a=233647441