Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 --- 9:49 a.m.
Press Release from the City of Madison:
Metro is reminding unlimited ride pass users that an I.D. is required for many programs and should be presented to drivers upon request.
Starting Monday, November 12, drivers will be requesting school and employment I.D.'s for riders boarding with unlimited ride passes. Passengers without a valid I.D. will have passes confiscated.
Metro Transit staff are currently assessing concerns that have been raised regarding the possible fraudulent use of its various unlimited ride passes.
Pass users should remember the following when traveling with an unlimited ride pass:
• Passes have been issues directly to the user by a school, campus, or employer.
• Most pass users are required to have a school, campus, or employment photo ID ready at all times for user verification upon driver request.
• Schools, campuses and employers have entered into an agreement with the City of Madison to pay for each ride that is registered on the issued pass.
• Passes sold on online auction sites such as eBay or CraigsList are considered fraudulent and are routinely flagged as improper postings.
• Passes on auction sites and/or are reported or otherwise found to be fraudulent are immediately deactivated. Deactivated passes are confiscated by drivers.
• Passes confiscated by drivers are sent back to the campus or business issuing the pass and are not returned to the passenger. Pass users should go back to the school, campus or employer that issued the pass to discuss any potential replacements.
• Fraudulent use of passes may prevent a user from being issued future passes from their school, campus or employer.
• Fraudulent use of passes drives up costs to these schools, campuses and employers and has the potential to jeopardize future offerings of pass programs.
For more information, contact the Metro customer service center at 608-266-4466 or email@example.com.