State News Headlines
State facing $2.2 billion shortfall in 2017
Posted: 3:17 PM
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Gov. Scott Walker's administration says Wisconsin faces a $2.2 billion budget shortfall by mid-2017, a problem that will have to be tackled by the Republican-controlled Legislature next year as Walker is building his resume for a potential presidential run.
Explosion, fire at fuel plant investigated
Posted: 8:00 AM
- LA CROSSE, Wis. (AP) -- The cause of an explosion and fire at a La Crosse fuel plant is under investigation.
US attorney collects $3.7 million in 2014 cases
Posted: 7:52 AM
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The U.S. attorney's office in Madison says it collected about $3.7 million in criminal and civil actions during the 2014 federal fiscal year.
4 development groups want to develop state land
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Four development groups are in the running to develop what would become the largest state-owned office building in Wisconsin.
Man reaches plea deal on animal abuse charges
- RICE LAKE, Wis. (AP) -- A man in western Wisconsin has been sentenced to probation on animal abuse charges after 26 cows were found dead on his farm.
Police: Milwaukee store worker shot in robbery
- MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Milwaukee police say an employee at a clothing and shoe store has been shot during a robbery.
Walker waiting for calling as he mulls 2016 run
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he is seriously considering whether to get into the race for president in 2016.
Newspaper to Legislature in 3 years: Todd Novak
- A newspaper editor, turned mayor, is now preparing to be a state assembly member. After winning an extremely close election, Republican Todd Novak talked about the race for the 51st assembly district.
Study: 55,000 people work illegally in Wisconsin
- MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Wisconsin is home to an estimated 85,000 people who immigrated illegally, three-fourths of them from Mexico.
Ryan to chair tax panel, a possible 2016 platform
- WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Republican leaders have chosen Paul Ryan to head the powerful House Ways and Means Committee for the next two years.
Changes to 2014 Deer Season
- If you're getting ready for the start of gun deer season in Wisconsin, make sure you take note of the rule changes that have gone into effect this year.
Gov. Walker: Not sure when new budget will be proposed
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Gov. Scott Walker says he doesn't know when he will introduce his state budget proposal, but he's hoping that meetings he's having now with state lawmakers will smooth its passage.
Survey reveals Wisconsin county with most binge drinkers
- GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- A new survey shows adults in Brown County binge drink more than those in any other parts of the state, which was ranked highest in the nation for alcohol gorging and intensity of drinking.
Gun deer licenses down across the state
- MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin's gun deer license sales are lagging dramatically behind last year's pace.
Woman killed by officer identified
- BOYCEVILLE, Wis. (AP) -- The woman shot and killed by a police officer in Dunn County is identified.
More State News Headlines