NBC15 WMTV | Madison, WI | News

Carbon monoxide causes apartment evacuation in De Pere

Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 --- 8:00 a.m.

DE PERE, Wis. (AP) -- An apartment building in De Pere is evacuated because of carbon monoxide.

Fire officials say at least 30 people were forced from their homes about 9 p.m. Monday after some tenants were found to be suffering from symptoms of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Two people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Authorities say a monitor found the CO level in the apartment building above 300 parts per million. Firefighters use breathing equipment when the CO level reaches 200 parts per million.

WBAY-TV reports fire officials say a natural gas heating unit in a storage area was the source of the carbon monoxide. Residents were allowed back home after the building was ventilated for about an hour.

Copyright 2013: Associated Press


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
NBC15 615 Forward Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53711 Business: 608-274-1515 Newsroom: 608-274-1500
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 232489721