Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 --- 8:03p.m.
WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin State Fair officials have announced new security plans to try to prevent a repeat of the violence that marred opening night last year.
Last Aug. 4, officers arrested 24 people for disorderly conduct after several fights broke out near the midway area. When police closed the midway area early, the violence spilled onto the streets of West Allis.
Officials told reporters Wednesday they're retaining a requirement imposed the day after the clashes that anyone under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult parent or guardian after 5 p.m. Bags will also be checked at the gates. And 11 new security cameras will be installed.
State Fair Park CEO Rick Frenette says they're "not going to let a few individuals ruin the experience of 911,000 people."
Copyright 2012. The Associated Press.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.