Posted-May 23rd, 2012 2:21 pm
MADISON, Wis. –- Seventeen regular-season games at the Kohl Center, 12 games against 2011-12 NCAA teams, a season-opening weekend in Green Bay, Wis., contests against first-year program Penn State and the dedication of the Kohl Center Ice as “Bob Johnson Rink” highlight the 2012-13 Wisconsin men’s hockey 36-game 2012-13 schedule.
The Badgers begin their final season as members of the WCHA with the first official practice on Saturday, Oct. 6. The Badgers jump right in with an exhibition game that evening against the U.S. Under-18 Team at the Kohl Center.
The first official games of the season take place the following weekend when the Badgers take on host Northern Michigan at the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wis., on Oct. 12-13.
The first of two first-semester bye weeks follow, before UW travels to Minnesota Duluth on Oct. 26-27.
The Badgers finally play at home in regular season action on Nov. 2-3 against Colorado College. That Friday, the ice at the Kohl Center will be dedicated in honor of “Badger” Bob Johnson, who arrived in Madison after a stint as CC’s head coach in the early 1960s.
Another bye week follows before the Badgers return to the road to take on 2012 NCAA Frozen Four participant Minnesota on Nov. 16-17.
UW skates three of the following four weekends at home, playing host to Minnesota State on Nov. 23-24, visiting Denver on Nov. 30-Dec. 1, welcoming Michigan Tech on Dec. 7-8 and skating a non-conference series against Alabama Huntsville on Dec. 13-14. The UAH series will take place on Thursday and Friday due to the start of finals at Wisconsin.
The Badgers break for finals and the holidays before returning to action for 10 consecutive weeks. The 2013 portion of the schedule begins on Jan. 4-5 at Alaska Anchorage with the first of two weekend series against the Seawolves in less than a month. The Badgers visit Minnesota State on Jan. 11-12, then skate against Miami at the Kohl Center on Jan. 18-19. The meetings with the Redhawks will mark the first since 1993 and just the third and fourth in school history.
January closes with UAA’s return trip to Wisconsin on Jan. 25-26.
February opens with UW’s only two meetings of the season against North Dakota on Feb. 1-2. The games take place in Grand Forks, N.D.
A five-week stretch run wraps up the regular season, including four weekends of home hockey. The stretch run begins with games against Bemidji State (Feb. 8-9), Minnesota (Feb. 15 and 17) and Penn State (Sun.-Mon., Feb. 24-25). The lone road series takes place March 1-2 at Nebraska Omaha.
The home series with Minnesota includes a Friday, Feb. 15 contest at the Kohl Center and a scheduled Sunday, Feb. 17 contest at a site to be determined.
The Badgers wrap up the regular season against St. Cloud State (March 8-9) with both contests taking place at the Alliant Energy Center Coliseum. UW last competed there for the first round of the 2005 WCHA Playoffs, a 2-1 series victory over Alaska Anchorage that ran March 11-13.
The first round of the WCHA playoffs takes place Friday through Sunday, March 15-17 on campus sites of the top-six teams in the regular-season standings. Winners advance to the 2013 WCHA Final Five set for Thursday-Saturday, March 21-23 at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn.
NCAA regional action runs March 29-31 with the East Regional in Providence, R.I., the Northeast Regional in Manchester, N.H., the Midwest Regional in Toledo, Ohio and the West Regional in Grand Rapids, Mich.
The 2013 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four is scheduled for April 11 and 13 at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.
With the team’s move to the Big Ten starting with the 2013-14 season, the Badgers will begin skating against new conference opponents Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State on an annual basis, in addition to fellow WCHA-transplant Minnesota.
Scheduling agreements with Boston College, Boston University, Colorado College, Denver, Miami, North Dakota and Northern Michigan are either signed or in negotiations. Additional teams will also be scheduled.
2012-13 Wisconsin men’s hockey schedule notes
• First official practice is Saturday, Oct. 6
• UW will play an exhibition game on Oct. 6 at the Kohl Center against the U.S. Under-18 Team at 8 p.m.
• The season officially opens on Oct. 12-13 at the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wis., against Northern Michigan.
• UW’s first official home games take place Nov. 2-3 against Colorado College at the Kohl Center, the weekend that the Kohl Center ice will be dedicated as “Bob Johnson Rink.”
• UW skates Thursday and Friday, Dec. 13-14 against Alabama Huntsville. The games are moved from the traditional Friday-Saturday series because of finals at Wisconsin.
• The Badgers play Miami for the first time since March 26, 1993, a 3-1 victory in the NCAA tournament in Detroit, and for the third and fourth times, all time.
• The Badgers play host to Minnesota on Friday, Feb. 15 at the Kohl Center, and are scheduled to skate against the Gophers on Sunday, Feb. 17 at a site to be determined.
• UW meets first-year program Penn State on Sunday and Monday, Feb. 24-25. The series is Sunday-Monday due to the WIAA high school wrestling tournament at the Kohl Center.
• UW completes its home schedule on March 8-9 against St. Cloud State, with the games taking place at the Alliant Energy Center Coliseum due to a conflict with the WIAA high school boys’ basketball tournament at the Kohl Center. UW last competed there for the first round of the 2005 WCHA Playoffs, a 2-1 series victory over Alaska Anchorage that ran March 11-13.