The Wisconsin women’s tennis team competed in its first Big Ten Conference road match Saturday. The Badgers (3-7 overall, 0-2 Big Ten) traveled to Bloomington, Ind. but dropped a 7-0 decision to the No. 30 Hoosiers.
Indiana (10-3, 1-0) took the doubles point by winning all three matches. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Liz Carpenter (Sierra Madre, Calif.) and senior Kaylan Caiati (Greendale, Wis.) dropped an 8-4 decision to IU’s Alba Berdala and Laura McGaffigan. Juniors Chelsea Nusslock (Lake Forest, Ill.) and Nicole Beck (Lawrenceville, Ga.) fell in an 8-6 decision to Sigrid Fischer and Cecile Perton at the No. 2 spot. Finally, freshman Kim Roberts (Wrexham, Wales) and junior Morgan Tuttle (Winnetka, Ill.) played to an 8-6 loss against Brianna Williams and Stephanie Heller at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, two matches went into tie breakers. At the No. 1 spot, Caiati dropped a 6-1 first set to Berdala but came back to win a 6-7 (5-7) second set. Berdala ultimately won the match with a 10-8 tiebreaker. At the No. 2 spot, Carpenter faced off against McGaffigan, sister of former Badger Katie McGaffigan, and took the first set 7-5. Carpenter kept close in the second but McGaffigan came away with a 7-6 (9-7) win in the second and a 10-5 win in the tiebreaker to take the match.
Nusslock dropped a 6-0, 6-0 decision to Fischer at the No. 3 spot while sophomore Erin Jobe (Corydon, Ky.) fell to Williams, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4. At No. 5, Tuttle fell 6-1, 6-1 to Perton while Roberts rounded out the Badger competitors with a 6-1, 6-2 loss at the No. 6 spot to IU’s Lindsey Stuckey.
The Badgers continue conference action on the road tomorrow with a 10 a.m. match-up at Ohio State.
#30 Indiana 7, Wisconsin 0
1. Alba Berdala (IND) def. Kaylan Caiati (WIS) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-8)
2. Laura McGaffigan (IND) def. Elizabeth Carpenter (WIS) 5-7, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0
3. Sigrid Fischer (IND) def. Chelsea Nusslock (WIS) 6-0, 6-0
4. Brianna Williams (IND) def. Erin Jobe (WIS) 6-2, 6-0
5. Cecile Perton (IND) def. Morgan Tuttle (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lindsey Stuckey (IND) def. Kim Roberts (WIS) 6-1, 6-2
1. Alba Berdala/Laura McGaffigan (IND) def. Elizabeth Carpenter/Kaylan
Caiati (WIS) 8-4
2. Sigrid Fischer/Cecile Perton (IND) def. Chelsea Nusslock/Nicole Beck
3. Brianna Williams/Stephanie Heller (IND) def. Kim Roberts/Morgan Tuttle