The Wisconsin women’s tennis team competed in its first Big Ten Conference road match Saturday. The Badgers (3-7 overall, 0-2 Big Ten) traveled to Bloomington, Ind. but dropped a 7-0 decision to the No. 30 Hoosiers.
Indiana (10-3, 1-0) took the doubles point by winning all three matches. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Liz Carpenter (Sierra Madre, Calif.) and senior Kaylan Caiati (Greendale, Wis.) dropped an 8-4 decision to IU’s Alba Berdala and Laura McGaffigan. Juniors Chelsea Nusslock (Lake Forest, Ill.) and Nicole Beck (Lawrenceville, Ga.) fell in an 8-6 decision to Sigrid Fischer and Cecile Perton at the No. 2 spot. Finally, freshman Kim Roberts (Wrexham, Wales) and junior Morgan Tuttle (Winnetka, Ill.) played to an 8-6 loss against Brianna Williams and Stephanie Heller at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, two matches went into tie breakers. At the No. 1 spot, Caiati dropped a 6-1 first set to Berdala but came back to win a 6-7 (5-7) second set. Berdala ultimately won the match with a 10-8 tiebreaker. At the No. 2 spot, Carpenter faced off against McGaffigan, sister of former Badger Katie McGaffigan, and took the first set 7-5. Carpenter kept close in the second but McGaffigan came away with a 7-6 (9-7) win in the second and a 10-5 win in the tiebreaker to take the match.
Nusslock dropped a 6-0, 6-0 decision to Fischer at the No. 3 spot while sophomore Erin Jobe (Corydon, Ky.) fell to Williams, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4. At No. 5, Tuttle fell 6-1, 6-1 to Perton while Roberts rounded out the Badger competitors with a 6-1, 6-2 loss at the No. 6 spot to IU’s Lindsey Stuckey.
The Badgers continue conference action on the road tomorrow with a 10 a.m. match-up at Ohio State.
#30 Indiana 7, Wisconsin 0
1. Alba Berdala (IND) def. Kaylan Caiati (WIS) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-8)
2. Laura McGaffigan (IND) def. Elizabeth Carpenter (WIS) 5-7, 7-6 (9-7), 1-0
3. Sigrid Fischer (IND) def. Chelsea Nusslock (WIS) 6-0, 6-0
4. Brianna Williams (IND) def. Erin Jobe (WIS) 6-2, 6-0
5. Cecile Perton (IND) def. Morgan Tuttle (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lindsey Stuckey (IND) def. Kim Roberts (WIS) 6-1, 6-2
1. Alba Berdala/Laura McGaffigan (IND) def. Elizabeth Carpenter/Kaylan
Caiati (WIS) 8-4
2. Sigrid Fischer/Cecile Perton (IND) def. Chelsea Nusslock/Nicole Beck
3. Brianna Williams/Stephanie Heller (IND) def. Kim Roberts/Morgan Tuttle
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.