Advertisement

Workers hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at day care

All 53 children at the daycare are safe, authorities confirm.
Published: Jul. 2, 2020 at 3:56 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOWN OF SPRINGDALE, Wis. (WMTV) - Five construction workers are in the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered in a day care center in the Town of Springdale in Dane County Thursday. All 54 children and their day care workers at the daycare are safe, authorities confirm.

Mount Horeb Fire Chief Jenny Minter tells NBC15 News at the scene that workers were making repairs in the gym of the Hearts & Hands Children’s Center at 8900 Ridgeview Road just before 3 p.m. when one of the workers became drowsy. The workers suspected a carbon monoxide leak, and an alert was issued and the building evacuated.

Minter says fire and EMS crews from nearby municipalities arrived at the scene to find five workers with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. One worker was in serious condition and four had minor injuries from the carbon monoxide. All five workers are now in the hospital.

All 54 children as well as staff at the day care are safe. Three children were experiencing high levels of carbon monoxide, but were later released to their parents at the scene. Children waited in air-conditioned buses until their families arrived to pick them up.

It appears the source of the leak was a propane-powered floor machine the workers were using on the floor of the center’s gym. The device did have a carbon monoxide monitor, but it did not alert the workers to rising levels of carbon monoxide.

For several hours, first responders worked to ventilate the building, and it has now been declared safe to enter.

Minter explains that carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas produced by fuel burning appliances and equipment. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and loss of consciousness.

#LIVE Authorities release details on the carbon monoxide incident at a Dane Co. daycare today.

#LIVE Authorities release details on the carbon monoxide incident at a Dane Co. daycare today. STORY >> https://www.nbc15.com/2020/07/02/crews-respond-to-carbon-monoxide-issue-in-springdale-in-dane-co/ UPDATE: Four construction workers are in the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered in a daycare center in the Town of Springdale in Dane County Thursday. All 53 children are safe, authorities confirm.

Posted by NBC15 Madison on Thursday, July 2, 2020

Claire Stencil says her daughter attends Hearts & Hands. Stencil says she received an email with a carbon dioxide alert, in which the center said that all the children and employees had been evacuated.

Stencil showed NBC15 News the alert, which read: “All children are safe. We have evacuated the building for possible carbon monoxide. More updates as we have them.”

Claire Stencil and her daughter, who goes to the day care.
Claire Stencil and her daughter, who goes to the day care.(WMTV)

Copyright 2020 WMTV. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News