MPD: Burglars break into five Madison homes overnight, stealing cars
Madison police are investigating after at least five homes were burglarized overnight Friday.
MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - Madison police are investigating after at least five homes were burglarized overnight Friday.
According to an incident report, six cars were stolen out of garages and driveways—all within a half mile radius on the city’s north-east side. Target locations included the 1200 block of Glacier Hill Drive and 5100 block of Esker Drive, as well as homes on Merrick Court and Park Meadow Drive.
One victim told NBC15 she felt “awful” this morning, discovering her car missing from her garage. She explained accidentally leaving the garage door open and the door leading into her home—unlocked.
After speaking with police, the victim shared with NBC15 the advice she got from them. Tips include not leaving car keys near the garage and keeping watch of garage openers. Burglars, she shared, can steal garage openers and come back another time for the cars.
Manny Abrajan Rojas, a neighborhood resident, said he was a victim of two car break-ins, one of which occurred the week he moved here.
“I wouldn’t say ‘no one’s safe,’ [but] are you taking those precautionary measures? I don’t think somebody would take another person’s life or injure someone else just for an item or an object,” he said.
Other long-time residents said that neighbors are close and friendly with each other.
The incident report specified:
· Residents of a home in the 1200 block of Glacier Hill Drive woke up to find car keys and wallets missing from the kitchen. They later learned that their 2018 Hyundai Tucson and a 2015 Kia Sportage had been stolen from the garage. Debit cards taken during the break-in were also used at several businesses.
· Suspects broke into a home in the 5100 block of Esker Drive. Electronics were taken from the house, and a 2005 Hyundai Azera driven from the garage.
· In the 5400 block of Katie Lane, a resident heard muffled sounds in the kitchen around 3:40 a.m. A garage door, which had been closed, was found open, and the dome light of a parked truck on. It was not clear what might be missing, according to police.
· On Merrick Court, multiple items were stolen from a home, including a 2016 Honda Accord and a 2003 Hyundai Elantra, both parked in the driveway.
· A resident on Park Meadow Drive told MPD officers that his 2015 Chevy Malibu was stolen from his garage. His wife’s purse was missing from the kitchen.
Copyright 2020 WMTV. All rights reserved.