Advertisement

Sun Prairie road reopens after gas leak at assisted living facility

Officers said they could detect the odor immediately upon arriving.
Authorities close part of Clarmar Drive after a gas leak.
Authorities close part of Clarmar Drive after a gas leak.(WMTV/Lou Thao)
Published: Mar. 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM CST|Updated: Mar. 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. (WMTV) - Seventeen residents and staff of a Sun Prairie assisted living facility were briefly displaced after a gas leak occurred Friday afternoon.

According to a news release, Sun Prairie Fire and Rescue were called around 1:30 p.m. to respond to the facility on the 100 block of Clarmar Drive for “a strong odor of gas.”

Officers said they could detect the odor immediately upon arriving. Sun Prairie Fire reported elevated readings in the kitchen and second floor of the building, causing an immediate evacuation of residents and staff. They also noted the difficulty of the evacuation, due to issues with mobility for the majority of the residents.

There were 17 residents and staff evacuated for two hours while the incident occurred, but crews were able to take them to a warm place with help from Kobussen Buses.

Sun Prairie Fire continued, saying WE Energies and Sun Prairie Utilities were able to control the utilities. Fire crews then ventilated the building and eliminated the threat of gas.

Firefighters also checked buildings nearby and the sewers in the area, which did not indicate high levels of gas and therefore confirmed the issue was confined to the assisted living facility.

No one was injured as a result of this incident.

Traffic on the road that was previously closed for the incident was flowing again shortly after 4 p.m., clearing the way for rush hour drivers heading home for the week.

Copyright 2021 WMTV. All rights reserved.