Child with lighter sparks Brownsville apartment fire, building evacuated

Published: Nov. 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BROWNSVILLE, Wis. (WMTV) - An entire apartment building in Brownsville was evacuated after a unit was affected by flames and smoke Sunday morning.

The fire was limited to the apartment where it started and was quickly extinguished. Officials determined that the incident was caused by a child using a lighter.

Smoke and water damage affected two of the four apartments in the building and displaced the occupants. The Red Cross has resultantly been in touch with those tenants for temporary relocation.

Eight people, including three children, were displaced from the building. Red Cross volunteers are helping families with aid for food, lodging and more, said a Red Cross correspondent.

One occupant was evaluated by EMS for possible smoke inhalation, and a child occupant received a minor burn, which did not require first aid.

The Brownsville, Lomira, and Knowles Fire Departments, Brownsville First Responders, Fond du Lac Paramedics and the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to the building on Main St just after 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Copyright 2021 WMTV. All rights reserved.