MFD: Groceries sitting on stove catch fire in Madison apartment

Published: May. 4, 2022 at 10:21 PM CDT|Updated: May. 5, 2022 at 8:14 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - After a small fire started on an apartment stovetop on Monday evening, the automatic fire sprinkler above the stove rained down to put out the flames, the Madison Fire Dept. reported.

Residents evacuated the apartment complex on the 300 block of W. Washington Avenue as the Madison Fire Department arrived on the scene at approximately 8:26 p.m., MFD stated.

Firefighters said they found a charred plastic bag of groceries on a stovetop in one of the units. The man who lived there told investigators he wasn’t sure how the burner got turned on, adding that he suspected that he may have bumped into it.

The MFD said that they credited the automatic fire sprinkler for minimizing damage and preventing injury in the apartment fire.

Copyright 2022 WMTV. All rights reserved.