MFD: Fire that started on stovetop blamed on unattended cooking

(Pixabay user Three-Shots)
Published: May. 20, 2022 at 3:26 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - An oil fire at a Madison home worked its way from a stove to a microwave, filling a home with smoke Wednesday, the Madison Fire department reported.

According to MFD’s initial statement, firefighters could see smoke seeping out through the eaves and front door as they arrived at the house in the 2600 block of Waltham at around 8:20 p.m.

Investigators determined hot oil in a pan had been left unattended, ignited and began spreading. Firefighters used a water can to douse the fire and get it under control.

Firefighters nearly had to force their way into the home, MFD added. As they were about to do so, the homeowners arrived with the keys.

There are no reported injuries.

Copyright 2022 WMTV. All rights reserved.